Sunday, April 7, 2024

Take it slow. Look again this Easter.

 


Scripture: Acts 10:34-43 or Isaiah 25:6-9  • Psalm 118:1-2, 14-24  • 1 Corinthians 15:1-11 or Acts 10:34-43  • John 20:1-18 or Mark 16:1-8



I don't know about you, but this Easter, honestly, I need to  take it slow. After all we have been through the last year, I need to let the hope and promise of new life to sink in. I won't be worshipping in person, sharing the cup and the bread with our dear friends, or experiencing the joyful exhilaration of  triumphant exuberance, or even exchanging hugs in the exchange of the Peace. Sure, I will appreciate the online service and music, but it's not the same.

Debie Thomas poignantly shares much of what I feel, and more, in her honest take of Mark's sparce account of the Resurrection in "Slow Easter."  Especially, in these times, we need the hope and resilience Easter brings, and as she says, it always shows up. It always bursts forth with life, despite all the obstacles we throw at it, or are thrown at us.

One of my favorite takes on Mark's gospel account of the Resurrection is The Rev. Frank Logue's Look Again. It's worth a read.


No comments:

Post a Comment