Friday, June 19, 2015

A lesson for Father's Day




This Sunday is Father's Day! As a father, I know what a blessing that is, and it helps me understand, appreciate and honor my father. It has taken on a whole other dimension as I see what a wonderful father my oldest son is.

Today our scripture teaches us a lot about what it is to be a father - to be a comfort and a strength in the face of fear, having patience and wisdom to help a small child grow with confidence and become something great in a world of violence, destruction, hate and storms. Reflect on the story of David and Goliath and think about the small and the great, and the  source of his strength and confidence. Consider the Shalom - Peace, be still! - of the one who calms the storms.
 
For further reflection see Robert Cornwall's " Sleeping through the Storm," Steve Goodier's "What I Pray For," and Professor Alyce M. MacKenzie's Father's Day article related to last week's parable of the mustard seed, "What Every Father Should Know: Reflection on the Seed Parables in Mark 4:26-34.




No comments:

Post a Comment