Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Cup of Cold Water...


 In this Sunday's readings we have the amazing story of God telling Abraham to sacrifice his son, Isaac. Are we, like Abraham, being tested?  Consider Dan Clendenin's "A Terrifying Text: Abraham and Isaac on Mt. Moriah," and, along with Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, put yourself in Abraham's shoes. Compare this with last Sunday's gospel where Jesus says that whoever loves his son or daughter more than me, or who does not take up their cross and follow me, is not worthy of me.  What does God ask of us?

Enjoy the story of wild haired college student John, who squats in the isle of a church service in  Christopher Burkett's "The Smallest of Good Deeds." 

What does God want us to do? Read Fr. Ric Morley's "sit up straighter..." Whoever welcomes you, welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the One who sent me.


No comments:

Post a Comment