Friday, August 31, 2012

"Tradition!" - the heart of the matter...

Scripture:Song of Solomon 2:8-13 and Psalm 45:1-2, 6-9  Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-9 and Psalm 15  • James 1:17-27  • Mark 7:1-8, 14-15, 21-23

"Tradition!" exclaims Tevye, the Jewish Russian with three daughters in Fiddler on the Roof, as his daughters, one by one, seek to marry those they love, instead of being matched to their mates according to tradition. 

This week's scripture from the passage in Deuteronomy, to the Psalms, to the passage in James, and Mark's gospel all take into account obedience to the law and commandments. James and Jesus both tell us we abandon the commandments if we are mere hearers and not doers of the word, or follow tradition "with our lips" without honoring God's word in our hearts.

Our traditions, and beautiful prayers and litany in the Book of Common Prayer are treasures. They move me, guide me and keep me in sync with the presence of God's love in my life every day. Reading the Daily Office and prayers has become an indispensable part of my day and evening. Once, when I saw it as a task and obligation to read them, it became a drudgery, a weight. When I stopped to listen, to let go of being in control and let God's words speak to me, to correct me, to show me my errors and lovingly forgive me, these words became "a light to my path," and life became lighter. Things which worried and bothered me, were lifted from me - "Come you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Now I need God's word, and to pray, like I need food and drink. 

Read all three of our authors to see how we can honor our traditions from the heart - how we can live in truth, and not with hypocrisy. And read the passage from James carefully. I was surprised to find several practical points to keep us from living a lie, and to live out our faith with authenticity and integrity.

See Ragan Sutterfield's "Preparing for the Gift," "It's all about the heart" from PreacherRhetorica, and "Pharisees Are Us," by The Rev. John Ortberg.




No comments:

Post a Comment