Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Jesus' provocative words... the Body and the Blood

Scripture1 Kings 2:10-12; 3:3-14 and Psalm 111  • Proverbs 9:1-6 and Psalm 34:9-14  
Continuing the "I am the bread of life," sayings of Jesus from John's gospel, this week Jesus tells religious authorities: "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink."
Both Fr. Rick Morley in "eucharistic bombshells – a reflection on John 6:51-58, " and The Rev. Larry Patten in "I Am The Living Croissant” search Jesus' words, and the context in which they are spoken, as well as their significance for us today. Both believe Jesus' comments were provocative, and uttered with the purpose of awakening us to the freedom of living out the honest truth of God's love for us, and for our neighbors - this is living the abundant life - not the superficial prosperity, feel good so called "gospel" we see and hear so much about today. Jesus radically calls us out to live and love unconditionally and sacrificially, and in so doing we shall see the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment