Sunday, July 9, 2017

Taking on Jesus' Yoke

Scripture: Genesis 24:34-38, 42-49, 58-67 and Psalm 45:10-17 or Song of Solomon 2:8-13  •  Zechariah 9:9-12 and Psalm 145:8-14  • Romans 7:15-25a  • Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30

After a few weeks considering the costs of discipleship, Jesus is moved with compassion for us, and offers himself as a respite for all who are heavy burdened and weary. He, of gentle humility, welcomes us, receives us and offers a lightness, a rest. What does Jesus mean when he tells us "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
See The Rev. Joshua Bowron, "Taking on Jesus' Yoke."
What about failure, acceptance, coping. Consider Daniel P. Clendenin's "'I Don't Know What I'm Doing," Failure Tolerant Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment