Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Disturbing the Peace - Picking Up the Pieces




 
This week's gospel has Jesus telling us "I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a baptism with which to be baptized, and what stress I am under until it is completed! Do you think that I have come to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division!" So much for the meek and mild Jesus. This is a face of Jesus which John Dominic Crossan  an refers to as the apocalyptic preacher... or is it?

What does Jesus mean, and why does he tell us this? See Teresa Berger's "
Disturbing the Peace."  What does Thomas A. Renquist mean when he says Jesus is "piece-maker," and not a "peace-maker?" in his "Peace-Maker" or "Piece-Maker?"

What is God's peace? In Renquist's words and blessing "And the peace of God, which passes all understanding ... (even the peace of God which sometimes breaks us into pieces) ... will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Amen.











 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment